Constructive Criticism

,
Yesterday, an article was published on Re/Creating Tampa, a local blog "about lots of stuff, but mostly Tampa and Florida," that expressed some concerns about billboards and my blog specifically. The author, Dave, made a very valid argument that I should fully disclose the fact that I work for Clear Channel Outdoor, so that my readers are aware of the perspective from which I write. I thanked Dave for his advice and immediately added the "about me" section.

Additionally, Dave addresses the aesthetics of outdoor advertising, and the censorship rights that companies exercise with regards to billboard creative. I definitely agree that some billboards are more aesthetically pleasing than others. We're limited from making improvements to outdated or ugly billboard structures because of restrictions that have been in place for over 25 years. Thankfully many communities (including Tampa) are beginning to see the positive impact of a reasonable win-win solution when it comes to the regulation of outdoor signage.

Regarding censorship, Dave is right, there are definitely things we wouldn't put up on our billboards. We have to be more conservative than other mediums because with outdoor advertising, concerned parents can't change the channel, turn the page or tune us out.

I want to personally extend my thanks to Re/Creating Tampa for reading, and for caring enough to comment. On a local level, I'd like to be as transparent and as open to suggestion as possible. On a national level, the billboard industry is continually striving to improve by increasing the use of recyclable materials and exploring innovative ways to conserve energy. Author Issac D'Israeli once said "Those who do not read criticism will rarely merit to be criticized." Without people like Dave, companies like Clear Channel would operate in a vacuum and would be unable to address the concerns of the public.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ryan. And thanks for taking my comments as constructive criticism (as they were intended).

Post a Comment